- Returning from Costco, again, with a 4Runner full of granola bars
- Fumbling in the garage for a screw for a pot lid knob that’s missing
- Cleaning out bear cans,
- Washing plastic baggies out of guilt for using so many
- Buying new boots every two years
- GoogleEarth shows gear drying on your driveway
- Being asked at Walmart if you’re on a tuna diet when you buy up their entire stock of tuna packets
- Wearing the same thing every weekend
- Keeping a nail brush in your purse
- Having dog pads on the bottom of your feet
- Being asked if you’re having a party when you show up at the Sams Club register with 10, 2 lb. salames in the cart
- Watering the lemon tree in the backyard for 2 days because you forgot about it
- Encouraging those that need encouraging and honoring those that decide not to scale the dome
- Modeling self-care
- Reading body language
- Telling stories that teach backpacking lessons as well as life lessons
- Listening… LOTS of listening. Everyone has an amazing story
- Having the best pictures at the end of summer
- Hanging with the best of folks, which are your hand-picked crew of guides
- Making new friends every weekend
- Having your guides bring you hot chocolate in your hammock at 9500 feet
- And having a “job” that you love, even though you’re tired and cranky sometimes.
LOL. In one of my courses I have a tuna packet and a can of tuna to make the kids think about which one they should pack. I try to put a lot of things out to really make them think. Love what you’re doing.
You may not remember me, but we met this weekend while Reza and I were about to go for a short hike at Hetch Hetchey. Anyway, It was very nice to meet you. I hope to see to see you again sometime. I sense you have a great connection to the outdoors and all the nice things that come with it. I think I’ve met your husband once on a hike to 1000 lakes. He actually carried a small inflatable boat 12 miles to the lake :)) Amazing…
Thanks for for the news letter. It’s great.
Milt Rayford, one of Reza’s hiking buddies
Come back and blog again and again.